What's This About?

My ordinary day to day life. Thoughts and musings on the realities of my existence.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Sign That Fall is Here

The title should read: Several Signs That Fall is Here.

I just came back to the office after lunch and my feet are soaking wet because of all the puddles, my glasses need to have the raindrops wiped off and finally, I almost fell on my rear-end because of all the slimy leaves piling up at the side of the road. It's hard to ignore the negative aspects of the fall, what with all the clothes we should be heaping on and stepping into. On tonight's agenda are the dubious tasks of finding my boots, an umbrella and coverings of some sort that I can throw over my office clothes. Office attire, which by the way has become increasingly unfriendly towards coats and jackets in general. My scarves, shawls and ponchos just don't fit well underneath... just about anything besides a gigantic cape. Hmm, perhaps it's time to try to make an updated cape reminiscent of the ones worn in the Jane Austen's period pieces like Sense and Sensibility or Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South . Okay, okay, the period capes warrant a complete overhaul. Imagine walking down the street wearing a full length scarlet cape with a voluminous hood. One would resemble an over sized Little-Red-Riding-Hood that had become terribly lost on the way to Grandma's house.

While I absolutely love the fall, I dislike all the dreariness that often accompanies it. I was certainly spoiled on the weekend. Phoenix' version of bad weather was having to put on some pants and a long-sleeved shirt instead of shorts and a tank top. Oh, and for those that had been out on a golf course when Sunday's morning rain hit, they had the onerous task of trying to dry out their golf gear in time for the next round. We had to endure some very tough circumstances down there. Ha!

On a more positive note about the Lower Mainland's fall, I love to see the river from my home, and that occurs only after the leaves make their annual descent. I can watch the big ships full of cars inch their way upriver or see a tug manoeuvre a log boom towards the nearby mill.

Perhaps I'll open my blinds here at the office and let in the available light - I'm in need of a little lift from Mother Nature. Another perk that accompanies the fall is being able to watch the birds en route to sunnier places. With any luck a little winged friend will stop by my window to visit on their trek south.

No comments:

Post a Comment