What's This About?

My ordinary day to day life. Thoughts and musings on the realities of my existence.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Seriously Hot

I'm going to be in the hot seat... seriously.

For quite a while I've been preparing for a management meeting in Phoenix. This is my opportunity to demonstrate that I'm deeply committed to my position within the company and that I bring a fresh perspective and will make significant contributions.

But... I'm not ready and I'm running out of time. The clock keeps ticking, the hands whirl around at light-speed these days. My discussion and presentation on human resource issues just isn't there yet, and I can hardly make heads-nor-tails of my notes on drugs and alcohol issues in the workplace. What am I going to do to get ready? I can't work longer hours, I have family commitments. I'll have to put off some of my usual day-to-day duties. Yikes.

Not that I'm worried that my input at the meetings won't be listened to, but I want to be as prepared and as articulate as possible. Professional. That's the image I want to be associated with. A strong, confidant woman that brings sound ideas to the table in a calm, professional manner. With supporting information, not to be researched further, but at her fingertips. I want to bring my end of the discussions back to the basics: dollars and cents. How are my suggestions going to affect the bottom line? Or to use a different process: how can I influence the implementation of something positive for all the employees here and demonstrate that the impact will result in lower expenditures for the company at the same time? How can I make my ideas irresistible?

Research, polish and practice. A former colleague used to constantly recite the 5 Ps: Proper Planning Precludes Poor Performance.

So, I'd better get back to my work - no more slacking with writing this blog today. I've got some serious work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment