What's This About?

My ordinary day to day life. Thoughts and musings on the realities of my existence.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Working up the Nerve to be a Night Prowler

Recently I've discovered that I'm not particularly shy. I can actually stand up in front of a group of people and speak with confidence. For some reason though, I've been avoiding a particular plant rescue.

I get a real rush from rescuing plants from demolition sites and abandoned properties. So far I've rescued lilacs, bluebells, beautiful deep purple columbine, solomon's seal, daylilies, a flowering currant shrub and a wee boxwood. Next on my list is a Gravenstein apple tree and a pear tree. The site they're on at the moment is about to be bulldozed to make way for freeway construction. I'm quite prepared. A dwarf host tree has already been established and awaits its new grafts. Somehow I just can't seem to sum up the courage to drag the construction fencing aside and enter the property to take my cuttings.

These two trees really need rescuing. The apples are absolutely delicious, I've never tasted anything like them before. They had the perfect crunch and an incomparable sweetness. Although the pears were far from beautiful, they made a fabulous pear sauce. Soooo delicious. Oops, I've just exposed another odd side of myself - gleaning. I'll admit that I just don't understand why good food goes to waste, whether it is unpicked from the fields at harvest time or fallen fruit in empty lots. I have no shame, I quite happily gathered the fallen apples and pears then brought them home and prepared them for the family. The food tasted so good, was grown locally with no sprays or fertilizers and absolutely no fossil fuels were burned to get the harvest to my table. Love it!!!

I think I've talked myself into an evening raid of the property at the bottom of the hill. Perhaps not tonight, but in the very near future. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment