What's This About?

My ordinary day to day life. Thoughts and musings on the realities of my existence.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Tempting

...or taunting?

Would you like a cookie? Have a Kit-Kat, one won't kill you. I won't tell anyone that you had a licorice. Who's gonna know?

As I'm typing I'm listening to Sloan's song, Unkind: "I don't know why you have to cross that line... you can be so kind - sometimes, and you can be unkind - sometimes"

Why do people feel compelled to tempt or taunt me? Do they think that this is a game? Perhaps they think that I'm just eating differently to lose a little weight, that my diabetes isn't something that I take seriously. I must take diabetes seriously though, the consequences of 'playing' with it are dire: organ damage, limb loss, blindness, and so on. You get the picture - the future is not pretty if I don't take care of myself while I have the opportunity.

I've resolved to not dwell on the things that no longer play a positive role in my life. These 'things' include so-called treats and I'm beginning to feel that my list is about to expand to include people who actively try to sabotage my good intentions. I know, I know, I'm not the kind of person to get that petty, I couldn't pull it off anyway - I care for everyone in my office too much to cut them out of my life. Frankly, I don't miss the treats (unless I forget to eat my yogurt before leaving the office, in which case by the time I get home I could easily devour a caseload of carb-o-sticky-sweet-something).

So... here's my dilemma: do I just graciously ignore the taunts, or do I offer them all sorts of tempting treats to sabotage their own attempts at self-restraint in the over-indulgence department? I'm torn. In a mature, rational-thinking moment, I see myself rising above the situation and gliding past the offending party, oblivious to their comments. However, right now I'm not feeling very elegant or mature. Instead, I'm feeling rather silly and vengeful at this very moment. What do I have here? Mwah-ha-ha! I've got a bag of caramel corn (ammunition) in my cabinet that needs to be consumed by mes saboteurs. GAME ON!!!

I'd better go - I'm in the mood for a food fight and I've gotta find a large bowl, ahem, canon for my ammunition!!

No comments:

Post a Comment