What's This About?

My ordinary day to day life. Thoughts and musings on the realities of my existence.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Devastation

Stunned and overwhelmed. Those are my feelings when I look at photos of the devastation from the earthquake in Haiti. So many people killed or injured, families torn apart, so much poverty to begin with that the people can’t begin to recover.

My life is so good, stable, safe and happy. My concerns are so trivial when compared to the Haitians trying to survive. I don’t have to worry about where our next meal will come from, where to find shelter or the whereabouts of my loved ones.

I don’t know where to start; I must do something, but what? I’ll donate some money to the Red Cross – they’ll be able to make the most of my contribution. But then what? I still feel that just doesn’t cut it.

Aside from my donation, I feel that all I can offer is a prayer. God bless the Haitians, give them the strength to carry on and give everyone the ability to give what they can towards their recovery.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if adopting a haitian baby/child would be a possibility?

    It's just horrible seeing all they are going through. It is very true - we are all so very fortunate!

    ReplyDelete