What's This About?

My ordinary day to day life. Thoughts and musings on the realities of my existence.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

In My Head - Music That Is



Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!!!

I've disappeared into music-land for the last little while and am just emerging to find that spring has sprung and a couple of months have... vanished. Music-land these days is a full body immersion into Canadian Indy music. Think Jeremy Fisher, Said the Whale, Mother Mother, Portage and Main, Joel Plasket, Sloan, Jill Barber and so on.

Meanwhile, what has been accomplished while listening to all this great music? I'm now caught up at work, relatively speaking. My dishes at home get done with a smile and I think I move more. My poor aching body tells me I'm moving more. Oh my bones! Oh my muscles! When the tunes aren't playing, they linger in my mind. I can't help but sing, hum, whistle and drum out my new-found melodies. I sense a re-emergence of my drumsticks and getting to know my new ukulele intimately. Ah, happiness. I dance and sing with the boys, hum while I walk and sing particular song lyrics to reflect my moods and thoughts.

Speaking of moving more, have you tried Zumba? My son, Daniel, has been asking me to join him for Zumba at school. I expected an event; something more than just a grade 2 gym class. I thought there were going to be many parents and children Zumba-ing together in the gym. I arrived at the school just as the children were filing into the gym, lining up in long rows and swinging their arms around to ensure ample room for their Zumba moves. Daniel shouted "Mommy, over here! Come stand with me!" Really? In amongst all the kids? A nod from the gym teacher, Mr. Clicks-the-Camera-a-Lot, and I headed over. Feeling somewhat like Gulliver amongst the Lilliputians, I positioned myself amid the throng of excited 8 year-olds, between Daniel and Marcus from Beavers. I think there were 3 other moms, maybe. Sensibly, they stayed at the back of the pack, clearly not willing to humiliate themselves in the middle of the throng.

Oh well, what the heck. If I'm going to Zumba with Daniel, I'm going to do it wholeheartedly. Right beside him. The instructor began the workout, the music tempo picked up. I looked around to see if everyone was having a good time and all the kids and adults, myself included, were smiling. This was fun! In keeping with my "I will participate fully and enjoy myself" motto I found myself doing robot, bangra, cowboy, hip-hop and other unidentifiable moves. Not well, mind you, but with enthusiasm. Does that count? Daniel, you can invite me to Zumba anytime. I had a lot of fun. Hopefully I didn't embarrass you too badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment