What's This About?

My ordinary day to day life. Thoughts and musings on the realities of my existence.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Oh Heck!!

Have you ever done something with the best of intentions, then realised that you either did it incorrectly or the outcome was the opposite of what you had intended?

Recently, I volunteered to coordinate the popcorn fundraising event for Daniel's Scouting group. I had no idea what a big job it was. However, after attending the training session (yes - a TRAINING session) I decided to give it my best effort. Well, one's best effort, when sleep deprived and feeling completely overwhelmed by life, is not particularly spectacular. In fact, my best effort was a dismal disappointment.

Being an intelligent person, perhaps giving myself too much credit on that front, I prepared for the first fundraiser kickoff presentation. Daniel, being my assistant popcorn fundraiser, had his sample sales pitch prepared and memorised. I wanted the other children to be just as enthusiastic about their sales pitches, so I prepared a big bowl of popcorn for them to sample. First I threw in the caramel flavoured popcorn, then the chocolate popcorn and then I added the freshly popped microwave popcorn... ACK! The chocolate began to melt, the popcorn started to clump together - what a mess! Heck!! Oh well, what child doesn't like chocolate? "Hello, boys and girls, I'm here tonight to talk about one of the most important fundraising events of the year." All the little pairs of eyes were watching me like hawks. Good, I thought to myself, I've got their attention."We're going to sell as much delicious popcorn..." I placed the bowl of popcorn down in front of them... and... whoooompph... no more little eyes were looking at me. Of course they were all elbow deep in the popcorn! Double heck! So, still smiling because frankly what else could I do, I ended up finishing the presentation for the few parents that had hung around and handed out the envelopes and popcorn sales forms. Not a stellar performance.

The next few presentations went much more smoothly. Together Daniel and I made a great team: I'd introduce the fundraiser then Daniel would demonstrate his sales pitch. No popcorn sampling involved.

Then I realised my big mistake - I had neglected to fill in some crucial information on the collection envelopes. Hadn't even looked at the envelopes - what was I thinking? Key information was missing, such as who to make cheques payable to, deadline date, pickup date, my contact information. HECK, HECK, HECK!!!!!

Sooooo, the very last presentation went extremely well. The collection envelopes had all the relevant information on them and included a package of microwave popcorn for the children to sample at home at their parents' convenience. The children were really great, they asked questions, were well behaved and enthusiastic. If only I'd been on the ball - all of the kickoffs would have gone this well.

I think I'll have to volunteer for the popcorn event again next year, just so that I can redeem myself and make up for my mistakes this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment