What's This About?

My ordinary day to day life. Thoughts and musings on the realities of my existence.

Monday, February 1, 2010

My Happy Birthday

My birthday, despite myself, was lovely.

We caught the first ferry (yawn and stretch) to Langdale and spent the day with Mom and Dad.

For Daniel and Daryle, it was a particularly early start. Daniel woke Daryle up at 4:00am to show him that his very first tooth had just fallen out. Lucky he didn't swallow it in his sleep!

The day was everything I wanted it to be: low-key, relaxing, in good company, and yummy! Mom cooked a fantastic roast beef dinner complete with Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes, broccoli and carrots. After our early dinner, Dad played 'Happy Birthday' on his violin while the others sang. Then we enjoyed a slice of sinfully sumptuous cappuccino cheese-birthday-cake for desert. Mmmm.

Enjoyable moments defined our visit: opened my present from Mom and Dad (a book by one of this year's writers' fest authors and a beautiful pashmina shawl), tried out Mom's drums (what fun, what a racket, what - oops, that's another story...), spent time catching up with Mom and Dad, Daryle and Dad worked outside splitting wood, Daniel played Snood on Mom's computer and we all had a good time playing with Daniel at the playground.

Even the trip home and the rest of the evening went smoothly. I had just begun to get tucked into my book when the ferry began loading. Quick drive home, bit of a visit with my sister (another card and the promise of the Raconteurs' album Broken Boy Soldier), Daniel into bed making sure his tooth was ready for the Tooth Fairy's visit, crawl into bed myself. Aaaahhhh. Great day - indeed it was a very happy birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment